A Professional Year Program (PYP) is a job-readiness program that offers students the opportunity to bridge the gap between full-time study and professional Australian employment through practical training and a potential career path. A Professional year program, particularly for overseas students who’ve just graduated from an Australian Institution, can serve to give real world work experience in the Australian workforce.


A Professional Year Program, as the name implies, lasts a year and is accessible for 3 major industries with the highest demand for skilled graduates: engineering, accounting, and computer science.

Why join a Professional Year Program?

Professional year programs are intended for overseas students who want to gain industry specific job experience and apply for permanent residency in Australia. These programs provide students with the opportunity to demonstrate professional abilities and start their careers in highly demanded Australian industries.


Advantages of a Professional Year Program?


  • Gain industry specific job experience
  • Experience Australian work cultures
  • Boost your communication and professional abilities
  • Get 5 bonus points on the “Points Test” for the Skilled Independent visa (Subclass 189)

Available PYP Programs

Only government-approved Professional Year Programs are recognized by the Department of Immigration and Border Protection (DIBP). Here’s a list of all of them:



  • Accounting Professional Year Program (PYP) – formerly SMIPA
  • Institutes of Chartered Accountants (CA) Australia and New Zealand Skilled Migration Internship Program
  • Institute of Public Accountants (IPA) Skilled Migration Internship Program


Engineering Stream:

  • Engineering Education Australia’s (EEA) Professional Year Program


Computer Science:

  • The Australian Computer Society (ACS) Professional Year Program

Eligibility Requirements for Professional Year Program

To enroll in a Professional Year Program, you must have a graduate degree from an Australian university in Engineering, Accounting, or Computer Science, as well as a Skilled Graduate (Temporary) visa (Subclass 485), which allows you to stay in Australia for 18 months after completing your graduate program. To receive this visa, you must:

  • You must be under 50 years old
  • You must have graduated within the last 6 months in an appropriate qualification
  • You must have the necessary skills and knowledge to work in one of the occupations on the Skilled Occupation List

Search my ANZSCO.com.au
Get in Touch with Experts for a Free Consultation